Rena got tickets for me, Cam and Lna to go see Raidiohead music performed by Christopher O'Riley. A "classically trained" concert pianist who as it turned out, looked nothing like he did here (there's also a nifty "listen now" button on the site that plays what I reckon was the best song that night) He was older, fatter and definitely had a receding hairline. Kicked ass at piano though.
Cam and Lna ended up pulling out and so I dragged Bon and Kat (cousin for those not in the know) along aswell. We had an early dinner at Ichi Ban Boshi where I tried an Ice Green Tea Cappucino (ooo colours!) and drank half the mixture before realising that the syrupy stuff was not just for Kat's Lemon Ice Tea.
The City Recital Hall on Angel's Place actually turned out to be a pretty decent concert hall, not too big and not too small. Although Rena and I did have a bit of a gripe about being placed on the right-hand side of the hall rather than the left. We got to see all O'Riley's frowns and grimaces (many bearing uncanny resemblance to this well known emo: >_<) but none of the finger work. For all we know, the guy probably had an extra set of hands or two, it definitely sounded that way for some of the songs. Rna and I had our fingers crossed hoping that they'd do a 180 with the piano after half time but (surprise surprise) the piano stayed put.
Rna and I were too cheap to buy the $6 program (which was then upped to $8 during the intermission-clever!), that's like a whole gyoza order! Instead, we spent several minutes in front of the big program banner near the entrance trying to commit the entire second half of the concert to memory. It was pretty crowded around there actually, does this say anything about Radiohead fans I wonder...
Didn't matter to either of us in the end. We both had no clue what Radiohead music sounded like so we just enjoyed the music as it came. Must admit that it wasn't as enjoyable as Eminence anime/gaming music concerts but that might've been because I didn't really know the songs all that well. (Actually I didn't know them at all) The songs were definitely alot busier and longer than Eminence ones though (whether for better or worse, depends on the song).
The guy cracked a musical joke ("this is the only song I've ever played that has 32/8 as its time signature") and I actually got it! Go me!
The Shostakovich guy seemed pretty good...at least I THINK I enjoyed the Shostakovich guy more. Shosta's works alternated with the Radiohead ones but in the end I lost track of who's turn it was.... *bows head in shame*
Wednesday, February 01, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
i'm pretty sure that rena knows what radiohead sounds like.
i can sum it up in 2 words - waily, depressing.
kylie, im pretty sure all or most of the songs that you liked were radiohead ones...and i do know what radiohead sounds like, hahaha, i just got confused when he played elliott smith and then 2 radioheads in a row when he wasnt supposed to and messed up the whole plan! grr. anyway, next time, lets get seats on the left and take a photo of the program banner! =p
Post a Comment