People I haven't met since primary school are still able to recognise me, which I suppose is either a hats off to their extraordinary memory and observation skills, or an indication of just how little my face has changed throughout the decades.
With that recognition, always comes a sense of horror that I'll never escape from a past plagued by awkward memories of a bratty, immature personality; a distinct lack of social skills; and a hopeless sense of fashion.
Usually, such encounters with my somewhat shady past tend to go something like this:
Old classmate: "Hey, aren't you..."
Me: **Panics** "No...no no. You must be mistaken."
Old classmate: "It's...Kylie, isn't it? It's Angelica, remember? You left a green hand print on my uniform in Year 5 art class. My mum could never get the paint stain out, you know."
Me: **Laughs nervously** "Really? It was that bad? Wait, uh...I mean, I think you've got the WRONG PERSON."
Old classmate: "But, I recognise your face!"
Me: **Prepares to bolt** "OH LOOK! IS THAT THE TIME ALREADY? SORRYGOTTAGONICEMEETINGYOUBYE!" **runs away**
Me: **Panics** "No...no no. You must be mistaken."
Old classmate: "It's...Kylie, isn't it? It's Angelica, remember? You left a green hand print on my uniform in Year 5 art class. My mum could never get the paint stain out, you know."
Me: **Laughs nervously** "Really? It was that bad? Wait, uh...I mean, I think you've got the WRONG PERSON."
Old classmate: "But, I recognise your face!"
Me: **Prepares to bolt** "OH LOOK! IS THAT THE TIME ALREADY? SORRYGOTTAGONICEMEETINGYOUBYE!" **runs away**
Some people are lucky enough to gain a sense of anonymity as they grow older and look nothing like how they did as a child.
For me though, denial and evasion are still my two best options.

I'm curious: do you look exactly like how you did as a child? Or do you look completely different? Have you also had an embarrassing encounter with your past?
Leave a comment and fill me in!
4 comments:
the photos are so cute ;)
ps one is my caller id
At least you don't get mistaken for your siblings, if I had a nickel for every time I've been called 'Sam' I would have a nickel mountain that could be mined, melted, smelted and exported to save Australia from the global economic crisis.
i look hotter than ever =D
just throwing that in for fun
Candice: Haha, the cuter me, right?
Dan: LOL! Do you really look that much like your brother? Send me the evidence!
'Bonnie', my cousin 'Katrina' and I all went to the same primary school. I got used to being called Bonnie and Katrina so I know how you feel. At least you'll be able to console yourself with the fact that Sam probably gets mistaken for you just as many times as you get mistaken for him.
Yi: Haha, now that's confidence!
Post a Comment