I gave out more than ten detentions today for students talking during an exam. After consulting with my supervisor, we decided to fail all the students who mucked up and make them resit the exam that same day at lunch. This went down swimmingly well with the students (note the sarcasm) so they therefore played up again at lunch, since I was the only one supervising them. I then upped the stakes by dishing out letters to be sent home to their parents and for the students to be placed on a behaviour management plan.
Some students who resat the test were resentful that I nailed them for turning to others during the test and yelling for them to be quiet but hey, rules are rules, I said no talking, and yelling is definitely a form of talking. I know they're just pushing to see what they can get away with but still, it's quite tough to see it being done to me in the classroom.
I'm responsible for seeing through all the disciplinary actions that I dish out, meaning that many a recess and lunch fly by with me working my butt off counselling students left, right and centre as well as filing enough paperwork to kill a considerable proportion of the Amozon forest.
It's difficult for me since I'm usually the type of person who would let things slide by. I'm not consistent enough with these measures and my supervisor has often pointed it out to me. It's always coming back to kick me in the butt because students pick up on it and complain quite loudly that I'm being unfair...consistency, is definitely something I have to work on.
Wednesday, October 31, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment