Thursday, January 01, 2009

Happy New Year!

Happy New Year! 2009...can you believe it's been nine years since the millennium?!? That's crazy! Sometimes I hear people saying, "oh, that's sooo nineties" or "oh, that's so old, wasn't that from the like the early 2000 years?".

My mind just boggles at that. I mean, people are already referring to the nineties and early "noughties" (? Is that the correct term?) as being by-gone eras! Having been born in the late eighties, I suddenly feel as if I'm some sort of ancient mythical beast. When I get out there in the teaching workforce, my students will gradually become younger and younger as I continue to get older and older.

It's a slightly horrifying experience...no wonder there's a market out there for face lifts!

I was watching a documentary a while ago on the ABC channel about Dame Nellie Melba, who died in 1931 from septicaemia after getting an infection from a face lift she had done in Europe several weeks beforehand. 1931! They had face lifts even back then! Another mind boggler!

No comments: