Thursday, October 22, 2009

Gloves for Your Feet

When we were in Beijing's Tiananmen Square, we almost froze our little butts off waiting for the army officials to come and perform the ceremony to lower the flag.

This happens once everyday around sunset and since it was the dead of winter, it wasn't particularly pleasant waiting around in a large open space with the chill emanating from the cold stone below and seeping up and into your very bones.



One of our videos up on youtube of us clowning around whilst waiting for the ceremony to begin.
Excuse the randomness, we were bored and very very cold!



It's the type of cold that makes you feel sick. Not the "oh-deary-me-I-suppose-I-might-have-a-bit-of-a-stuffy-nose-tomorrow" pushover kind of cold, but the type that makes you physically sick in the stomach because your body is protesting against being in such frigid weather.

We spent the entire night out and temperatures dropped to -5 degrees celcius that day I think. It was probably still in the positives when we were at Tiananmen though.

It was a little ridiculous that we risked life and limb to watch a flag being taken down off a flag pole but I suppose, when in Rome...




...this one too...ack...that cold made us a bit loopy


Dan videotaped the entire experience and when I noticed his icy cold hands, I quickly offered him my spare pair of gloves lest he come down with frostbite and lose a finger or ten.

Dan! Dan! The Camera Man!


The delight that spread across Dan's face was adorable and the exchange that followed?

Comedy gold...

Dan: I like these gloves, I wonder if they make them for your feet?
Ky: Yeh, they call them socks back at home.

Speaking of which, did I ever get those gloves back off you, Dan?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

HAHA, Yeah, I gave them back reluctantly, like 3 days later. You gave me the begrudged glare of a legalistic librarian, offended at my tardiness. Like you were thinking in your head "It's about time, slacker!"

Kylie said...

LOL! I vaguely recall something like that happening now...