(From bottom to top: Japanese Character Dictionary, A Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar, A Dictionary of Intermediate Japanese Grammar, Kondansha's Furigana Japanese Dictionary, Oxford's Chinese Dictionary (Simplified), Random House Japanese Dictionary, Oxford Study Dictionary, Penguin's Rhyming Dictionary, Oxford's Proverbs Dictionary, Penguin's Idiom Dictionary. )It appears that I have a dictionary(reference book) fetish.
That's 10 dictionaries so far, and that's not including these 2 which I just rustled up below:
That's 10 dictionaries so far, and that's not including these 2 which I just rustled up below:

And I was planning on buying a Chinese grammar book at some stage too!
I know dictionaries are an important tool for all language learners but this is almost bordering on ridiculous. But awww... look how shiny that Furigana dictionary looks! Or how comprehensive and weighty those Japanese Grammar dictionaries and the Kanji Dictionary (known to Steve and Jodie as "The Yellow Bastard" in times of stress) appear! Don't you just feel like you want to thumb through the pages and let your eyes linger over their small-print-sized definitions?
It seems like my nerdiness knows no bounds.
6 comments:
i think you counted the chinese dictionary twice?
you can tell which language you like more :p (or maybe it's just which language you've been studying longer...)
<3
i like your little stack there! i think books are sexy. =D
btw, whats in the oxford 'study' dictionary?? g is for guilt?
my word verification is goomo! thats the cutest word verfication ever
Hehe that IS a cute word verification!
I didn't count the dictionary twice. If you look very closely, you'll see that I have an "Orthodox Chinese" version and a "Simplified Chinese" one.
It became a pain in the ass to look up words in the traditional format so I bought myself a simplified one...of the same crappy variety since Co-op didn't really stock any other ones worth checking out.
Word verification: fcgnmhi ...I'm envious of your goomo now Rena!
Oh and I'm still not really sure what's so special about my Oxford 'Study' dictionary.
According to the back of the dictionary, here's some of the special features I've been taking for granted:
-Encyclopedic entries! 5000 new encyclopedic entries covering countries, major cities, characters from myths, famous statesmen and important literary, scientific and artistic figures.
-Usage notes! Spcial notes on correct English usage, register, and common grammatical mistakes
-Words! 45 000 headword entries, including specialist GCSE subject vocabulary (what's GCSE?)
etc...
All for the grand total price of $16.50! (Now probably worth <$30 due to inflation)
Basically the same as any other dictionary with the exception of some excel pocketbook-esque listings of countries etc at the very back.
KY! *gasp* *look of pure horror*
YOU FINALLY ADMITTED UR A NERD!!!
pause...
birds chirping in the background...
wind howling off the north-east coast of aus...
CONGRATULATIONS SIS!!!! *hands ky another dictionary to award her on finally admitting shes a nerd*
dont mind me... being at home for 3 days straight has fried my brian, not to mention being sick for 2 weeks... -_______-;;
Ah ok, my mistake. I wasn't aware that oxford made 2 versions of its crappy dictionary. (Afterall, the simplifed version lists the traditional variants anyways?).
When we're all uber at chinese, lets trek to China books and pick ourselves out a kick arse dictionary.
<3
P.S. My word verification - Waalgk.. cute no?
Post a Comment