Question: You have just read the book 'Anastasia' and seen the movie. Please write an imaginary biography about Anastacia's life. Use as much information from the book as you can and if possible, go to the library or use the internet to find out more information about the real Anastacia's life. What happens after the book ends? Where do Dimitri and Anastacia go?
"Anastacia was a young Russian Princess. She was born in 1916 in St. Petersburg. Russia.
Anastacias grandmother was named, Marie. Her father was named, Nicholas.
Anastasia was one day ate a ball in her palace, when suddenly rusputin Appeared a evil person.
At midnight the town came crashing in the castle. They killed every person who was royal including Anastasia and he brother and sisters. That was the day in 1924.
For the people ruled the Land.
[Now insert random dodgy, handrawn picture of the Jolly Roger]
Once, there lived a man named, Ben. Ben was a man that loved to look at the sea's horizon.
Finally, one day, he found a Unit that you could see the sea's horizon by the beach.
One day, as he looked out to sea. he could hear a voice behind him saying "The horizon is going". When he turned his face to where the voice had spoken, he saw a ghostly figure of 'Anastasia'.
Suddenly, Ben screamed and nearly fell of the balcony. But just at that time the spirit of Anastasia helped him up again.
Then the horizon was gone forever.
It was his last time to see the horizon.
After a little while, Pocohontas appeared. She was floating with the wind. What a beautiful sight thought Ben, but the horizon has gone...forever.
Pocohontas tried to cheer him up, but that did not work. Ben would be sad forever. Anastasia tried to cheer him up with happy stories.
But from then on Ben was a broken hearted old man."
Help! What am I supposed to do with this?!?! The grammar! The spelling! The punctuation! The logic (more like lack thereof)!
I know it's terrible of me to doubt my students, but I have the sneaking suspicion that the parts that ARE actually proper English, were copied straight out of the book itself (and taken out of context along the way!). This student never writes anything like "that was the day in 1924" or "for the people ruled the land".
And the random insertion of Pocohontas and Ben?! Wth?!?
And sadly enough, this is a considerably good piece in comparison to the other stuff this student has handed in lately.
*Sighs*

5 comments:
lol! awww! it started off so well! then...it sounds like they stumbled upon fanfiction.net...
lol, that's what i thought too! I was like "who's ben?". Some of it can be fixed with a discretely placed comma to make sense. It's not as bad as you think.
LOL.. i thought they were extracts from two different stories (the picture being the seperator)..
i think it's great that u try so hard to help them.. that was a REALLY GOOD question though =) two thumbs up... and yeap.. multiculturalism, racism and harmony are so ugh right now.. i suppose we must think the same about 'journey' though...
two interesting things from SMH
http://www.smh.com.au/news/opinion/racism-phobia-can-muzzle-the-truth/2006/04/14/1144521506030.html
http://www.smh.com.au/news/opinion/exams-cant-tell-the-whole-story-as-students-realise-theirpotential/2006/05/03/1146335804617.html
lol, I asked the student today, apparently these ARE two different stories (although so inextricably linked, that it's hard to wrap my mind around the idea). *sigh*
I could access the first link, but not the 2nd. Mmmm...brings me back to extension history, it was an interesting read :thumbs up to Lna:
Why am I up at this hour? Gargh...fell asleep without finishing my work!
I'm glad I'm not you. If it were me, I'd laugh out loud, and the kids would be hurt and tell their parents. Then I'd be fired :(
Post a Comment