I managed to get myself completely caught in the momentary hail blitzkrieg that assaulted Sydney around 4'ish. Rain and hail are all very nice to gaze dreamily at whilst at home, in pjs and in bed with a hot cup of tea and a book to read but NOT when you're heavily laden with uni course readers, textbooks and newly bought buns from Bread Story (Mum and I are big fans of their XO Durian and their Stairway to Heaven).
My cutesy little blue and pink polka-dotted compact umbrella I bought from Kyoto station's 300 yen store for yes, you've guessed it, 300 yen (equivalent of roughly $3~4) only managed to somewhat protect my head from being pounded by little icy balls of doom. The rest of my body was pelted by those evil fiends from Broadway Bread Story to Chinatown.
I had originally felt a rather detached sense of curiousity for the rare hail occasion, and even took a moment to try to take a photo with my phone like any other idiotic tourist bystander at the cost of being confronted with Care Australia workers trying to get me to call them back in 3 years time once I've reached the legal age for sponsoring a child in Africa (I lied about my age. It's a somewhat childish and pointless act at the moment since I'm truthfully not 21 yet and therefore am still safe from vulture-like aid workers, but I'm setting myself up for the long haul, for future encounters with such random people. By the time I really do need to start genuinely lying, I'll be a seasoned professional. So far I haven't slipped yet...except for that embarrassing encounter with Lna and a very suspicious aid worker at Redfern). However, by the time I arrived at Mum's workplace and shed most of my wet outer layers, I was too buggered and too wet to bother sticking around for Tafe.
So I went home...or tried to. I ended up working at the restaurant and serving customers in squelching shoes and uncomfortably damp clothes till the rush period was over with. By the time I got home around 8, I could not feel my toes although that was quickly remedied by a nice hot shower. Now, if only my textbooks would dry up and return to normal just as easily. I'm putting Bon's er...I mean my heater to good use at the moment.
Tuesday, August 15, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I was wondering about the reason for tafe non-attendance. I missed the hail storm, since i had a class.. but nearly died several times walking to the station. Work shoes + hail lined streets = slippery death.
see kylie, thats why you should take the bus! being lazy has its rewards sometimes! :D
lol Rena.. you've ruined me. I took the bus to tafe (pay for apprentice) today when last year i would have walked, for sure! I was like.. "Ohhh.. but since i'm at Wentworth ANYWAY, and it takes soo long to walk through the uni to broadway, i'll just take the bus!"
Bad bad, need exercise.
Post a Comment