Earlier on this year, Kurumi, a friend I met in Japan, sent me a photo of some Sakura (Cherry Blossom) trees when they were in full bloom around March through till April. The Japanese people really know how to savour the sight of the Sakura blooms, even holding "flower-viewing festivals/parties" called 花見 hanami during this period which basically involves the whole family going out for a picnic at a park during the day or night to appreciate them. Now that definitely sounds like a wonderful way to spend a Sunday afternoon!
In exchange for this photo, I've promised her that I will send her photos of some Jacaranda trees once they come into bloom since they're sort of our equivalent to Cherry Blossoms.
Speaking of Jacaranda trees, I remember that there was a really big one in the year 11 quad back in high school. I wonder if it's still there or not? My friends and I used to sit underneath the tree and I remember getting really annoyed in spring because the flowers used to fall all over my lunch and I'd spend half of lunchtime just trying to pick all the flowers out of my food. Those flowers aren't exactly all soft and fluffy either so when the wind picks up they really pelt your skin HARD.
Then there was that whole curse thing where the school rumours had it that if you hadn't started studying for your HSC by the time the Jacaranda tree in the quad started blooming, you were pretty much doomed. Since the tree always starts blooming around the time of the HSC trial exams, maybe it's less of a myth and more just an amusing coincidence...
Hmmm....anyway, I'll get some nice pics of some Jacarandas once they start to bloom. For the time being, here's Kurumi's photo direct from Japan for all your viewing pleasure.
EDIT: Btw, I promised to tell you when Bon's blog was ok to view right? Well...uh, it's been ok for quite a while. I completely forgot to make a note of it here but well, better late than never, right?
Wednesday, September 24, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment