My internship has finished! All I have to do is mark all the Year 10 assignments and Year 11 speaking assessments, get them back to my two teachers by Tuesday and I'm done! :D
Too bad there's still an assignment I have to hand in by Wednesday...the real holidays won't start up until Thursday but at least I can sleep in on weekdays now.
I've learnt a lot from this internship, especially about classroom management and assessments. I need to work on my language skills because I stuff up all the time in class and my classroom management is still pretty horrible.
I mean, what exactly do you do when almost your entire class speaks Cantonese and they're swearing at you and making fun of you in the language?
What do you do when a whole class bands together to pretend they don't know anything just to sabotage your lesson?
What do you do when you send a letter home and ring up the parents only to discover that their parents don't care less or think you're the one in the wrong?
What do you do when a student is defiant, refuses to obey any of your instructions and school policy doesn't allow you to remove them from the classroom?
The list is endless and I can see why some teachers burst into tears in the staffroom because of these everyday situations. I was lucky that my two cooperating teachers gave me so much advice along the way and in general were just so supportive of me. Other interns may not have been quite so fortunate...
It's a taste of what my life's going to be like from next year onwards. It's a little scary, but I'm willing to give this profession a try (Ha! These words might come back to haunt me later!)
Saturday, June 27, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Ballisticate them!!
It's a dog-eat-dog world, if you don't eat them (literally), then they'll eat you! Even if you aren't at the school anymore!
Though, really... Would love to hear more about the problems and your tips/suggestions for em... FB msg?
get a job in queensland, nobody can speak cantonese here, so when your class annoys you, just swear at them in canto!
Post a Comment