(Disclaimer: All of the pictures below were not taken by me. You can find them all here: Red Dust and Red Sydney Project)
I woke up this morning around 6am, looked out the window, and saw a haze of red.
Since it was 6am in the morning, my mind was still too foggy with sleep to register what was wrong with what I was seeing.
I shrugged it off as a very red sunrise and since I usually don't get up in time to see the sunrise and wouldn't have a clue what a proper sunrise should look like, it seemed like a plausible explanation at 6am in the morning. I then promptly went back to sleep.
At 7am, I woke up again, looked out the window, and still saw a haze of red.
Whilst my sleep-addled brain was still processing this, Bon's radio alarm went off and after hearing all the radio news reports about the massive sandstorm that's engulfed Sydney, the pieces all clicked together.
It wasn't particularly pleasant travelling to uni this morning. Visually, it was a feast for the eyes but all the sand and dust left me sneezing the whole way to uni, even after I'd taken some Telfast to help clear my nose and stop my eyes from watering.
I passed by quite a few people who were smart enough to either wear a mask or to wrap a scarf around their nose and mouth. The air didn't make me gag or anything, but it definitely was quite uncomfortable (apparently the air pollution index reached over 1000 (?) 2000 (?)...Considering anything over 200 is already classified as 'dangerous', that's quite alarming!)
The air started clearing up a bit around 2~3'ish. Although it was still quite dry, dusty and ridiculously windy, the red/orange hues had mellowed out to a faint pastel yellow and you could walk outside and not feel as if you were heading towards the gates of Hades.
Apparently we might get another dust storm sometime between now and the weekend but it will be nowhere near as bad as the one today. I'll keep you all posted if that's the case.
Wednesday, September 23, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)







No comments:
Post a Comment