Saturday, June 24, 2006

Beauty is pain

Bonnie plucked my eyebrows last night. It's the fruits of her tireless campaign (which started several months back) to either convince me to pay to get them professionally plucked, or to let her have a go at it.

I haven't been that scared in a long time when Bon approached me with a determined look on her face and predatorial intent in her eyes whilst brandishing her tweezers like a mad surgeon with a scalpel. Suffice to say, that image of approaching doom was enough to set the alarm bells ringing in my head and my fight or flight instinct kicking into overdrive. But the girl had me cornered so I had no choice but to succumb to her ministrations.

...all the while Mum was watching AMUSED from the sidelines, throwing in highly unuseful comments like: "beauty is pain" and "a woman's pride should be in her appearance" *grumble*...

One thing you should know about me: I have an EXTREMELY low tolerance for pain. I'm not kidding, I hate any sort of pain. I cried when I got my ears pierced at 12 (Bon dragged me to get mine done with her, I would have been perfectly happy with no pointy metal gun loaded with sharp pointy metal sticks being held to my ear, thank you very much, but Mum (traitor!) and Bon, obviously thought otherwise *grumbles* SHE didn't even flinch!)

One thing you should know about Bon: She has an EXTREMELY low tolerance for me. We do get along to a certain extent but if times call for her to be slow, careful and gente rather than quick, efficient and painful when dealing with me, she'd opt for the latter.

So class, what happens when you combine Bon, Ky and a pair of tweezers?

Pain! Turmoil! Despair! (For Ky)

Bon ended up calling it quits because I was squirming and carrying on so much. (I consider that a win for me. Ky's eyebrows: 1 Bon's tweezers: 0)

Anyway, they're semi-done at the moment...meaning more 'Pain! Turmoil! Despair! (For Ky)' sometime down the track...it will be a very LONG sometime if I have anything to do with it!

NB: I have had them professionally plucked during a facial once before...but that was with steam blowing on my face so that the pores would open up and not cling so painfully to my eyebrow hairs. I didn't know how to maintain the shape so it's since grown out, hence the need for such a traumatic experience.

Facials *shudders* I think the woman almost broke my nose trying to clear my blackheads...I pray that's my first (and last!) go at a facial. Really, it ranks up there in pain with getting my moles removed through laser surgery (with no anesthetic! AND I have scars!) and getting an allergy test when I was a kid.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh oh *puts hand up* do me nextttt

Anonymous said...

kylie!!! youre a grown woman!!

btw, did you have the facial at a chinese place? cos if so i wouldnt call that "professional", if you know what i mean. those ladies go crazy with tweezers! never let them anywhere near your eyebrows, i say.

Leana said...

lol.. for some reason.. i don't mind tweezing my eyebrows..

i do them myself everynow and then when i remember or i see a stray hair

and i got them waxed at a beauty place a few weeks ago.. and that didn't hurt either.. maybe that area of me isn't too sensitive?

lol-- i think the beautician was worried that it was going to hurt heaps
she was preparing me for it and she's like -- sorry this is going to hurt, but don't worry, there'll be soothing cream afterwards

i'll be as gentle as possible

i'm like-- please.. just do it.. i'm not stressed about it at all.. =)

next time ky, if there will be a next time, put a warm towel over the area first and then get bon to do it?

rena: i agree, it's like all chinese beauticians think thin eyebrows are good for everybody..

Kylie said...

CT: Let me get this straight; you willingly WANT to get your eyebrows plucked? Are you crazy?!?!

Rena: Lol, Bon still complains that she needs to 'touch up' her work. *shudders* ARGH!

Yes, I got my facial and first eye-plucking at a Chinese lady's house all the way in Beecroft! She's apparently Mum's favourite beautician.? :S And I did remember her taking off quite a bit off my eyebrows that time! But it looked good afterwards! If only I knew how to maintain them!

Leana: *insert wailing* I don't WANT there to BE a next time!