Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Did you know that...

I've been studying theory material for my Apply First Aid course on Friday. (The title of the course really irks me for some reason. Why is it called "Apply First Aid" and not "Applied First Aid"?)

It's compulsory for all final year Education students to have a first aid certificate before they head out on any pracs. Too bad they only told me this a few weeks before my TESOL prac starts so I've been in a bit of a mad panic to get the training done and out of the way before the real prac work begins.

Anyway, I digress.

What I wanted to post up was just a little snippet of the stuff I've been studying for this certificate: did you know that adults most commonly get hit by vehicles on their sides because they instinctively turn side-on to danger whilst children turn to face danger and thus suffer injuries to both sides?

Interesting, isn't it? I never really thought about it all that much until I read that bit.

I guess there is a bit of truth to all those cliched Hollywood scenes where the little kid turns and stares at a speeding truck as it hurtles towards them at breakneck speeds.

Then again, they're usually rescued by a man wearing a cape; red and blue spandex; calf-high red boots and his undies on top of his pants.

Anyway, I better get back to my uni assessments and studying this first aid course. Five chapters of theory down, only ten more to go!

No comments: