Sunday, March 08, 2009

Rattle, rattle, rattle

There's something seriously wrong with my computer. It's been rattling like a lawn mower on crack on and off for the past couple of months.

At first I thought it might be a build up of dust but I cleaned out my tower and vacuumed up all the dust bunnies that I could find. But nup, the mysterious rattling noise continued...

Then I checked all the cables inside in case the noise was caused by one of the wires sticking too close to a fan but none of the wires are touching any of the fans so that's not the reason either. Chris reckons the bearings on one of the fans are loose owing to the ridiculously large amount of dust I had built up inside my case over the years without regularly vaccuming.

*sigh*...the rattling's loud enough to really grate on my nerves so I'm left with a bit of a dilemma: on the one hand, I need my computer to research and type up my assessments but on the other hand, I can't concentrate with this infuriating rattling. Gargh!

Edit: The case of the mysterious rattling noise has been solved (temporarily)!

Chris worked out that the culprit was my video card's fan so for the time being, the fan's been unplugged. I hope my computer's not going to start crashing now that it's lost one of its fans.

No comments: