Thursday, December 11, 2008

Beijing here we are!

Yay! Blogspot AND Blogger work!






This is our second day in Beijing. Bon, Leana and I were over the moon when we realised that the restaurant right next to our dorm building at BLCU (Beijing Language and Culture University) has FREE WI-FI!

So here we are, having just had a hearty meal of ramen, with me hijacking Bon's laptop to type this post up.

I'll try to keep this post condense because Bon's getting annoyed at me for using her laptop for so long.

The dorm rooms are alright. Not shockingly horrible, but nothing fancy either. Actually, for 66 yuan ($12~15AUD) per night for twin share accommodation, it's pretty good.

It is cold here. Apparently it was only a maximum of 0 or 1 degrees celcius yesterday, but the dorm rooms are fitted with industrial strength scary looking old-fashioned heaters which can't be turned off so we can safely prance around the room in a t-shirt without getting too cold.

It's kinda weird though, they have a gas heater inside the shower as well...Bon and I reckon it's to keep the floor dry since there's no shower screen, only a very short shower curtain that doesn't stop the water from spraying all over the place.

I'll post up more photos of the dorm room later. It's kinda really messy at the moment because we haven't made the place our own yet. In the meantime, enjoy these pics!

Oh and check out my youtube account for more videos of our trip: xxMangoAvocadoxx


On the plane from Sydney to Beijing.
Is it really obvious that we all just woke up?


Shiny Qantas cutlery!

Leana and I whilst waiting for the train which takes us from customs to the baggage claim and airport exit. Beijing airport is so big that they have a TRAIN that takes you to another part of the airport! (Other airports I've experienced this at are Singapore and Hong Kong airport)

At the very shiny and large Beijing International Airport. They had people placing trolleys at regular intervals around the baggage carousel. How's that for service!


At the free wi-fi cafe
Leana (looking at the sign): "...what's 'affowed'"??
Bonnie: ...what's "'conver'...sa...' OH! CONVERSATION!"
I love Engrish!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah how I missed that voice, now it'll haunt me in my dreams once more... XD
Have they been treating you nice?? What's your itinerary like?

Kylie said...

Hmm weather's been a bit cold. My fingers felt like they had frozen solid today because we cleverly decided to eat portuguese tarts whilst walking home in the cold this morning. It took ages before I cold get the blood circulation running again in them.

I left my itinerary back at the dorm but from I do remember that I will be off to Xi An to see the Terracotta Warriors from 26-28 Dec.

Sometime before that we'll be off to the Great Wall. There's a few Australian guys from Towoomba staying opposite our room. I didn't realise how homesick I was until I heard that distinctive Australian twang.

Kylie said...

Haha, as if you'd ever forget my voice going: "OI! HAJIMAAH!" at those little kiddies at Arashiyama.

...sweet dreams :p

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Ha ha, I think "that distinctive Australian twang" is primarily Clayton's doing, am I right?

p.s. I hate to be an internet stalker by reading your old posts, but i'm bored, i can't sleep, my internet is too slow to load youtube and your blog is really interesting :D

Kylie said...

Lol, yeh I think so. Him and his 'mate' this and 'mate' that...

Haha, it has been a while eh? I had to read through the post and the comments before I realised what you meant by that.

Well glad my blog and be of service you insomniac you.

How are things going? If Orin ever decides to get his LA butt over here, we'll see if we can organise some sort of field trip to visit Toowoomba.

YAY! Field trip!...or the prospect of one, at least!