Thursday, December 18, 2008

Spoil them rotten

Sometimes, when I see kicking and screaming kids in the shopping centre, I'll (rather unfairly) assume straight away that they must have parents who spoil them rotten, making them so accustomed to getting their own way that they lash out at the merest "insubordination" to their demands.


Seeing these sorts of scenarios always makes me promise myself that I'll do better with my own kids and make sure that if and when they do play up, they'll know that retribution is already headed in their direction (it's a truth universally acknowledged that mothers are omniscient...especially Asian mothers brandishing feather dusters!).

However, having cousins who are almost two decades younger than me (and with another one coming, fingers crossed!) has kick started some of those whatchmacallit "natural maternal instincts". I'm sure Bon probably feels the same way. We both smother our littly cousins with attention and affection when we see them and these kids learn to practically get away with murder (eating other people's share of lunch counts as "practically getting away with murder").

A part of me knows that spoiling them rotten like this is probably not in their best interest, but something about kids just makes you want to be that much more indulgent with your love and your wallet (no wonder there's such a market for toys out there!).

But then again, kids need love and lots of it in order to develop physically, mentally, intellectually and spiritually.

'J' appears to understand this concept well. He seems to enjoy our love and attention as much as we enjoying showering him with it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Problem is, all those 'little things' mean the world to them. Like how we would fight over a payrise, they would fight over a chocolate pudding.

I'm probably making it sound very materialistic, and I guess it's true... I'm just glad you highlighted all those non-materialised things children actually NEED. :)

Bonnie said...

We were talking about aspirational Chinese parents in class today. Poor kids these days have too much pressure!

What this world need is more love.

Copious amounts of it.

Andy said...

Actually I'm quite apathetic to what little kids think and cry about. even if they are my cousins.

In fact for some odd reason crying kids make me laugh. either i'm really sinister deep down inside or they just look hilarious.