When I was in Kunming, Yunnan Province, China in 2006, I found this very cute reversal of Engrish in
Shi Lin 石林 (The Stone Forest), a magnificent area filled with variously shaped rocks scattered throughout the landscape, creating the illusion of being in well, a stone forest.
I love the person who typed up these signs. There are cute little in-jokes for anyone who can read Chinese if they would just take the time to pay attention to the signs.
In each of the three signs below, the English always reads the same,
"Please keep off the grass", but the Chinese sentence is different each time.
I'll try to translate the signs as best as I can with my dodgy Chinese so that more of you can appreciate these adorable little jokes.
Sign #1: 小草默默含羞笑,过往游客莫打扰。The little grasses are quietly and blushingly smiling, passing travellers, please do not disturb them.
Sign #2: 小草有生命,请勿践踏。The little grasses have lives, please do not trample on them.
(Yeh I know...it's a dodgy photo, my bad. Click to enlarge if you must.)
Sign #3: 别踩我。Don't step on me!
(This one's my favourite!)Related post: A Reversal of Engrish?
No comments:
Post a Comment